More writing coming soon, but for now, check out my latest photo galleries of the Lofoten Islands, Northern Norway
3 Sisters Wilderness, Oregon July-August 2014 :: Photo Galleries
This was a nice roughly 50 mile loop starting at Lava Lake trailhead, on Highway 242, which turns off highway 126 east of Eugene, Oregon. I did the loop going around the 3 Sisters in a clockwise direction, North Sister to east side to Southn Sister, then around, and back onto the Pacific Crest Trail.
- Day 1 - Lava Lake Trailhead to South Matheu Lake
- Day 2 - South Matheu Lake to Small Lake, East Sid of South Sister
- Day 3 - Small Lake to Morraine Lake
- Day 4 - Morraine Lake to before Obsidian Falls area
- Day 5 - Obsidian Falls area to South Matheu Lake
- Day 6 - South Matheu Lake to Lava Lake trailhead
Point Reyes, California July 2014 :: Photo Galleries
I was testing out a new Nikon Coolpix S5140 I picked up used, and it worked well. But really I needed to just get out into nature for a few days. Point Reyes was really nice, I'll be going back soon, for longer I think.
- Day 1 - Bear Valley Trailhead to Glen Camp
- Day 1 - Glen Camp in a big loop up the Coast Trail to Sky Camp.
- Day 2 - Sky Camp back to Bear Valley trailhead.
Lofoten Islands, Norway :: Photo Galleries
These pictures were taken July, 2010. They show my trip from Bodø via the ferry to Moskenes, then up to Å i Lofoten, then over to Fredvang, Nusfjord, Henningsvær, and down to Svolvær.
Most of the pictures are from the outer Lofoten Islands, from Å to Henningsvær.
Each gallery starts with a map of the day's trip, so you can orient yourself more easily.
- Day 1 - Bodø - Moskenes
- Day 1 - Moskenes - Å
- Day 2 - Å - Morning
- Day 2 - Å - Fredvang
- Day 2 - Fredvang - Beach
- Day 2 - Fredvang - Midnight Sun
- Day 3 - Fredvang - Nusfjord
- Day 3 - Nusfjord - Henningsvær
- Day 3 - Henningsvær
- Day 4 - Henningsvær - Svolvær - Moskenes
- Day 4 - Moskenes - Å
- Day 4 - Å - Moskenes
- Day 5 - Moskenes
- Day 5 - Moskenes - Bodø
Big Sur, Ventana Wilderness, May 2006 :: Photo Galleries
These pictures were taken during a recent 8 day backpacking trip, May 2006. All galleries feature full size pop up images. The pictures are fairly high resolution, so if you're using dialup it won't be that fast, but it's pretty terrain.
Most of these are taken in the higher parts of the Big Sur Mountains, all in Ventana Wilderness. After the first day I rarely was below 3000 feet or so.
Each gallery starts with a topopographical map of the day's hike, except for the first gallery, which also has a map of the entire hike.
- Day 1 - Botcher's Gap to Apple Tree Camp
- Day 2 - Apple Tree Camp to Pat Spring
- Days 3 & 4 - Pat Spring: rest days
- Day 5 - Pat Spring to Lone Pine Camp
- Day 6 - Day Hike from Lone Pine to peak of Ventana Double Cone
- Day 7 - Lone Pine to Spagetti Camp, or close to it
- Day 8 - Spagetti Camp back to Botcher's Gap trailhead
Boston 2004 :: Photo Gallerys
Boston is a strange city, and has that mix of elements that marks many older East Coast cities in the United States. I took these pictures in Somerville, by the Mystic River.
An ongoing travelogue in journal form about Stan's trip to Cambodia, where he recently lived and worked teaching English. Also a very nice introduction to another culture, one still quite removed from our Western Industrialized ways.
Parallel U – Living and working in Cambodia
Part 1 is the first trip, ending in return to the States, Part 2 is the second trip, and brings us to the present.
Stan has lived and traveled abroad for many years, this is his most recent exploit, and provides both entertaining and educational reading.
This was originally sent out in E-mail form, but Stan kindly agreed to let it be re-published here on Ratmachines. If you would like to check out his website, go to www.tripeast.com, where you can read more about his travels, and his various other activities, and see photographs from his other journeys, such as China, where he lived and worked for many years.
A traveler's first impressions of moving from Portland, Oregon, to Berlin.
Berlin: An Introduction
Dooly has lived in the USA for a long time, but is finally back in Europe. These are his first impressions after spending several years in Portland, Oregon. He previously lived in San Francisco, Oakland, as well as London.
Dooly is a musician, teaches English, writes, and has a diverse group of other interests.